Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Dissed by John Edwards

I've got no problem getting dissed by interview subjects. It happens from time to time. People just don't want to talk. But tonight I had the most high-profile snub of all-time (for me, at least): former vice-presidential candidate John Edwards.

He was on hand at the North Carolina-Vermont tilt this evening, and at halftime, I attempted to get a one-minute interview for a feature called the Blue Q that we run every issue of Carolina Blue. He glad-handed me and smiled like a true lawyer/politician and told me we should do it another time. He even asked for my card. But seriously, as much of a media whore as John Edwards is, I know he's not going to call (full disclosure: I voted for the Kerry/Edwards ticket -- this is personal vitriol here, not any kind of political thing).

But I decided that if he does call, I should re-snub him with some sort of "Oh-sorry-I've-got-Dick-Cheney-on-the-other-line" sort of excuse....Assuming Cheney hasn't died of his 800th heart attack by then.

Then my buddy Ogle, who you might remember from his naming of this blog, suggested I go all Major League on his ass. As in, when minor-league manager Lou Brown (who also works in some sort of tire/auto shop) tells the Indians' general manager that he's too busy to talk about managing the Indians.

Charlie Donovan: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?
Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...
Charlie Donovan: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.
Lou Brown: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some whitewalls.

Yeah, that's right, John Edwards....I've got Dick Cheney on the other line about some whitewalls. Me, one. You, zero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home