Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Massachusetts Institute of Tomfoolery

Wow, has it really been this long since I had an entry here on the ol’ blog? Apparently it has.

That’s too bad. If I could go back in time and change it, I would. Then I would visit the Time Traveler Convention that will be held at MIT on May 7.

When do you go to something like this, when you're officially too nerdy for Star Trek conventions? (Not counting the time travelers themselves. They're cool.)

Also, is it just me, or does this sound a little too crackpot for an institution with the academic reputation of an MIT? I’m not sure what my favorite part is, the fact that they give latitude and longitude directions in case MIT no longer exists in the future that someone is traveling from, or the fact that there’s no dress code.

Because, really what’s more embarrassing than making a 3,000-year trek backwards through time only to learn when you arrive that this was a black-tie shindig?

Also, call me a skeptic, but the following sentence bothered me: “We welcome any sort of proof, but things like a cure for AIDS or cancer, a solution for global poverty, or a cold fusion reactor would be particularly convincing as well as greatly appreciated.”

Oh, you want proof? Sure, no problem. And I’m sure as soon as I, as a time traveler, leave again for my home in the distant future (assuming I haven’t had too many beers at this rip-roarin’ convention to drive the time machine), these MIT punks will steal all the good future innovations.

At the very least, I’m sure they will conveniently “forget” who brought what.

“Oh, you brought the potato salad, right?”

“No, the AIDS cure.”

“OK, potato salad it is. I’ll rinse that dish out and get it back to you.”

And really, nothing will ruin a time-traveler’s day like having to chase down some little snot from MIT who stole his stuff from the future. So, really, I mean why are we having this thing?

Oh, and one more thing, just for the hell of it: “They found me! I don’t know how, Marty, but they found me!” (What, you thought I’d have a whole time-travel entry without quoting Doc Brown? For shame!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home