Saturday, January 29, 2005

Mrs. Garrett, Meet Mr. Milosevic

I’ve been meaning to post something about this for a while, but I keep forgetting. The one thing I don’t seem to forget is 1980s sitcoms. So this game I’m about to tell you about was perfect for me.

It came to my attention thanks to buddy Jamie Agin, who is also the Sports Guy’s intern and does some Daily Links. The game, you can find here. Be warned, it will consume you (unless you were the loyal blog reader who was kind enough to give me shelter Friday night – you, I’m afraid, will know none of it. Sorry!).

Imagine that: this thing will guess the Dictator or Sitcom Character you are thinking of. How’s this crazy internet site supposed to know if I’m thinking of Pol Pot or Potsie from “Happy Days”? I found it’s claims of omniscience to be dubious at best.

Until I did it. Repeatedly. And then more repeatedly. Until I was obsessed.

My friend Tyson and I tried a myriad of characters (but no dictators – I mean how many obscure dictators are there, really, that we could trick the computer with?). It knew them all. Except Sandy Duncan, who I might have messed up on, because I don’t remember what she did for a living on “The Hogan Family.” I do know she has a glass eye, for whatever that’s worth.

Anyway, this thing asks you questions and then guesses who you are. The game became not to stump it so much as to pick a character almost no one else had made it guess. Tyson won that little game, becoming only the seventh person ever to try to stump this thing with Grandpa from “Silver Spoons.”

OK, I didn’t even know there was a Grandpa from Silver Spoons – and those of you who know me, know that I know every sitcom character there is to know. The other night, I was watching some commercial and said, very matter-of-factly, “Hey, that’s Khrystyne Haje. She played Simone on ‘Head of the Class.’” I even knew her name started with a K and had two Ys in it. I'm a freak.

This induced some or other noise of disbelief from Fitt on the other couch. He'll get over it. Wait, why haven’t I tried her yet? OK, gotta go….

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumped it with Ernest P. Worrell from Andy Griffith. I also helped add a question that would help it guess future Ernest P. Worrell entries. Should I not have done that? Should we all be collaborating to beat this thing as much as possible?

Sidenote: I'm still recovering from the flu and my brain is shot, so when I first did it, I thought it was asking ME the questions, like some kind of questionnaire thing. It thought I was Andy Richter.

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home