Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Thoughts on Hands-On Notetaking

You know what I never do anymore? Write myself notes on my hands. This was a staple of middle and high school and proved occasionally useful in college as well. If you need to remember something, simply jot it down on the ol’ left hand (unless you’re a lefty, I guess).

But now I never do it. I was just reminding myself to remember – always a dubious proposition – that I need to bring my friend back his Sopranos DVDs this evening when I go to his place for a poker game. Then I thought that since he had mentioned ordering pizza, I should bring the coupons that came in the mail today.

Coupons. Sopranos.

Sopranos. Coupons.

Remember to remember. And then I thought, why don’t I just write that down on my hand? But then I imagined later, mid-poker game, having to explain to someone what was written on my hand. And why those two words contained so many of the same letters, which is kind of weird anyway.

Also, if you were sitting across the table from me, “coupons” would look a lot like “suodnoc” … and what the hell does “suodnoc” mean? I’d look like a crazy person, with made up words written on my hands. I simply can’t have that.

Although it would be funny to write “NOT CRAZY” in big letters on your hand and then just not acknowledge it until someone else brings it up. Then, when he or she asks, “Why does it say ‘not crazy’ in big letters on your hand?” you can just respond, in total deadpan, “So I remember I’m not crazy.”

Then let your gaze linger on them for an extra half-second. I bet that would totally freak someone out.

How the hell did I get off on this tangent? I forget.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Glitzy said...

ha ha ha...

yesterday was my mom's birthday. I wrote the words 'Call Mom' on my left hand. I took a picture of said hand for blog reasons and proceeded to crop it so it wouldn't include my reminder.

I hadn't felt the need to remind myself that way in ages. Funny coincidence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home